Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo 3DS

Platform »

The Nintendo 3DS is a portable game console produced by Nintendo. The handheld features stereoscopic 3D technology that doesn't require glasses. It was released in Japan on February 26, 2011 and in North America on March 27, 2011.

Seeking some 3DS buying advise.

odinsmana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By odinsmana

Poll Seeking some 3DS buying advise. (54 votes)

New 3DS XL - 199$ 74%
    3DS with Mario 3D land - 99$ 26%

So I recently dropped my DSI and it has started freezing in the middle of games, so I have decided to finally pull the trigger on buying a 3DS. Initially I was eyeing the New 3DS just because it`s the new one, but I found a pretty good deal on a normal 3DS and I am wondering if it`s actually worth to invest the extra cash to get the new 3DS. I am assuming that with the NX on the horizon there won`t be too many N3DS exclusive games coming. Money isn`t thight and I can afford the 200$ pricetag for the N3DS, but I am just wondering if it`s money well spent.

So my question is basically this: are the new features/hardware and exclusive games the New 3DS has worth the extra price? And also is the XL vs normal size a big deal? Sorry for the rambling and thanks in advance!

PS: It might be worth noting that I am from Norway and the prices are changed to the apropriate value for US, so there might be better deals in the US.

PSS: I probably won`t be able to use the 3D on the 3DS. Because (I think this is the reason) I had a lazy eye (I operated on it as a child and it`s now gone (the effect that is, not the eye)) I can`t see 3D. I have only tried glasses 3D (the image just becomes solid instead of the "duplicate effect" it has without 3D glasses on), so the glasses free 3D might work (this paragraph had a lot of parentheses).

• 
    Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The new 3DS is a great upgrade. The eye tracking makes the 3D something you might actually use and the nub makes games like Monster Hunter and the Zeldas much easier to play.

It's also more powerful, which improves performance in a handful of games and lets you play the SNES games.

You're still better off with a Vita though.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By bigsocrates

I would say "it depends" but in this situation I would get the New 3DS. Not only will you be able to access a few games that aren't on the normal 3DS (including some SNES classics) but its faster processor improves load times and other issues for a few other games. The 3D is also VASTLY improved, if you like using that, AND it has native Amiibo support (most importantest thing EVAR!)

But beyond those relatively minor, but important, quality of life improvements, I think the difference between normal size and XL is pretty huge. The normal size 3DS screen just feels cramped and small in this day of massive smartphone screens, and for someone like me with good but not great eyes it can be hard to read certain text, especially in 3D mode.

Of course if you don't care about 3D mode and you care more about portability than visibility (and I don't want to overstate things; the screen on the normal 3DS is still generally quite visible) then the old 3DS is fine, but you said money isn't tight, and I think $100 is not that much to pay given the large number of differences.

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
    Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By Oscar__Explosion

Get The New 3DS (not the XL) that comes with Mario 3D Land. It's slightly bigger then the OG 3DS, has the improvements and features of the "New 3DS" model, and is $150.

Here is the unit I'm talking about: http://www.target.com/p/new-nintendo-3ds-super-mario-3d-land-edition/-/A-51327765

tehbull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't fathom playing on a non-XL now.

matsemann08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I'd say the XL, but at that price, maaan, I think I would go for the 99$ one.

Avatar image for bowl-of-lentils
    Bowl-of-Lentils

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

I think you should get that New 3DS bundle that comes with Mario 3D Land that they are selling at Target and Wal-Marts. It comes with a New 3DS (not the XL but the regular version of the New 3DS that supports cover plates) and one of the best games on the system for only $150.

majormitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 119

User Lists: 31

Based purely on the prices/deals you posted, I think that's a tough call. Though if money isn't tight like you said, maybe just go for the new thing out of the gate. And you may be able to find some New 3DS deals too.

I voted for the regular though, as someone who has had a regular, non-XL 3DS since near launch, and I've never had a problem with it or considered upgrading. It may depend on what kind of types of games you plan to play (most of what I play would not would make use of the New 3DS features), and maybe it's a thing of if I tried the New I wouldn't want to go back. But as someone still rolling with the original model, I think it holds up totally fine. Given that, $100 less + a good game is a good deal, especially with the NX around the corner.

TheWildCard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

If money isn't an issue the the New 3DS is probably worth it.

odinsmana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks for all the advice guys! I ended up with buying the new 3DS XL as most of you suggested. The quality of life improvements like load times and the bigger screen plus future proofing (to a certain degree) seems like it will be worth the extra money investment.

Cheetoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

It really is personal preference but I would go with the larger screen. Lots of other little things to consider with going with other 3ds models. Just make sure you know what you're missing out on if you get an older model.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Having tried to play some games on my friends OG 3DS, I recommend the New one on the basis of it having the second small analog stick/nub alone. For certain titles it is invaluable.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.