Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo 3DS

Platform »

The Nintendo 3DS is a portable game console produced by Nintendo. The handheld features stereoscopic 3D technology that doesn't require glasses. It was released in Japan on February 26, 2011 and in North America on March 27, 2011.

Anyone else playing Dragon Quest VII for 3DS? It's pretty stunning visually

braves01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I picked it up Friday on a little bit of a whim (though I've played DQ games before in the past and enjoyed them), and I've put in about 5.5 hours since then.

It starts a bit slow, but picks up quite a bit after the first 1.5 hours. The game looks ABSOLUTELY AMAZING, especially the battles. The monster designs and animations are just superb and the 3D adds a great depth to the backdrops. The battle theme is amazing too, and the battles themselves move at a really snappy pace. I think it's the best looking game on the system to be honest. I'm playing on a N3DS if that makes any difference. It's dumb the camera is mapped to L and R instead of the nub, but that's not a big deal.

Overall, I'm really, really impressed so far and I haven't got into any of the deeper mechanics yet. Anyone else enjoying this? I hope GB do a quick look or something because it seems like a fantastic remake so far and deserves some coverage.

matatat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I like the concept of playing though a Dragons Quest game, especially on the 3DS. But I bought 8 and tried playing that several years ago and just couldn't penetrate the start of it.

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been excited to play it ever since the Japanese version of the remake was announced, it's great to hear such positive things about it. I will probably pick it up within the next few weeks after I finish the stuff I am playing now.

TheBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I doubt we'll see a QL of it. A game like Dragon Quest gets dumped into the "jrpg/anime game that takes too long to play" pile and I don't think any of them care about Dragon Quest beyond an appreciation of how big it is in Japan.

I can't wait to play it but I'm in the middle of Trails of Cold Steel at the moment, and with SMT4:A coming out soon I lament that there aren't more hours in the day. Glad to hear that it looks and plays great, though. The screenshots that I've glanced at look pretty sharp.

Avatar image for spikexmrspatula
    spikexmrspatula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've only had time to play a few hours so far. My one big takeaway is Maribel sucks.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

I just picked up my copy, so excited and thankful to have this come over to the United States.

Probably going to wait till I finish Project X-Zone which I'm roughly a 1/3 of the way through

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I was never a fan of the game on PSX, but I own every other Dragon Quest remake so I feel obligated to buy this one.

Avatar image for bowl-of-lentils
    Bowl-of-Lentils

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

Got my copy on Friday but I'm still working my way to my first battle. Liking it so far though, the setting is really interesting and the opening hours are playing out almost like an adventure game without puzzles.

Avatar image for subliminalkitteh
    SubliminalKitteh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theblue: I feel like Jeff has talked about being a fan of Dragon Quest games, and I recall Brad wanting to get into that DQ Builders game.

I'm just waiting for Vinny to pick up SMTIV:Apocalypse so he can say he'll never finish it.

Cheetoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

TheWildCard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I don't know something about the character models turns me off on this. I usual like the look of DQ games but don't like the character designs in this one. Still picked it up out of obligation but it will be awhile before I dive into it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8907c9ada33
    deactivated-5f8907c9ada33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

I picked it up two days ago. I'm really enjoying it so far but I'm very early on, only about 2 hours in.

I've only ever played DQXI and I loved that on the DS. So I'm hoping for good things with VII.

Bleshoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By Bleshoo

Been playing since Friday night and so far I like pretty much everything about the game. No random encounters is a plus!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.