Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo 3DS

Platform »

The Nintendo 3DS is a portable game console produced by Nintendo. The handheld features stereoscopic 3D technology that doesn't require glasses. It was released in Japan on February 26, 2011 and in North America on March 27, 2011.

In honor of huge black friday price drop, what are your favourite 3DS games

Avatar image for jdizzlefoshizzle
    jdizzlefoshizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

With the 99.99 sale of the New 3ds tomorrow, there are likely going to be a lot of new 3DS owners (possibly including myself). For those who have held out for so long, what do you believe are the must-have/great games of the console? Not just those which have the most broad appeal/are the most highly regarded, but also those that are your personal favorite games.

Avatar image for a_cute_squirtle
    A_Cute_Squirtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

Fire Emblem Awakening is a must. I've sunk countless hours in it and consider it fairly superior to any of the Fates stuff. Boxboy is one of the digital requirements to seeing the best of the system, too. Just an exceptionally charming puzzler I found hard to put down.

mathey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I got a 3DS early this year. I got fun out of Fire Emblem Fates, and I've enjoyed Project X Zone as a fan-servicey nonsense generator. And, its not really 3DS-only, but the Professor Layton series is so good if you like puzzles.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By mike

I recommend looking through the 3DS forum, there are at least a dozen of these topics from new 3DS owners looking for games to get.

Quantris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh man, why am I just hearing about this now? That's a great deal (I'm still on 3DS XL, and have been waiting for a non-bundle non-XL new 3DS). Hopefully I can get one of these if they refresh stock on it.

Super Mario 3D Land is definitely worth playing. Looking at games I've played semi-recently, I'd also recommend Rhythm Heaven Megamix and Steamworld Heist.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

I'm a JRPG glutton, so a lot of mine fall along those lines. I think the best for the buck (and some of these are DS games, but whatever) are the Dragon Quest, Etrian Odyssey, SMT, Golden Sun, and the Final Fantasy remakes - and track down Tactics A2 while you're at it. I'm also fond of attack of the Friday Monsters. Not sure I got that name right, but it's really cool.

LastBestHope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Here are 3DS games I have greatly enjoyed:

1. Shin Megami Tensei IV
    2. Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
    3. Fire Emblem Awakening
    4. Dragon Quest VII
    5. Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D
    6. Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds <------ YES
    7. Mario Kart 7
    8. Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
    9. Monster Hunter Generations
    10. Project X Zone (Cool if you like the characters it features, very easy game but fun)
    11. Xenoblade Chronicles
    12. Final Fantasy Theatrhythm Curtain Call
    13. BOX BOY <----- HECK YEA
    14. Severed
    15. numerous virtual console games, Earthbound, Super Metroid, plenty of Mario games
    16. Mega Man Anniversary Collection
    17. Fantasy Life
    18. Phoenix Wright series (Trilogy, Dual Destinies, Spirit of Justice)
    19. Binding of Isaac
    20. Steamworld Dig
    21. Steamworld Heist
    Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I've been playing Shin Megami Tensei IV Apocalylse and it's pretty good. It's also much kinder to newcomers, so if you were pushed away by SMT IV's unfair and punishing early game difficulty, Apocalypse might be a better choice for you.

fram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By fram

BOXBOY and Pocket Card Jockey are both utterly charming in entirely different ways.

Luigi's Mansion 2 is still fantastic. Link Between Worlds is incredible, and the remakes of Ocarina and Majora are well worth a look.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SSully

@a_cute_squirtle said:

Fire Emblem Awakening is a must. I've sunk countless hours in it and consider it fairly superior to any of the Fates stuff. Boxboy is one of the digital requirements to seeing the best of the system, too. Just an exceptionally charming puzzler I found hard to put down.

FYI Fire Emblem and other 3ds games are on-sale digitally from Nintendo: http://happyholidays.nintendo.com/cyber-deals/#nintendo-3ds

Fire Emblem is 20 bucks right now.

bwheeeler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bought a 2DS explicitly for Picross 3D: Round 2. Completely worth it.

Avatar image for bowl-of-lentils
    Bowl-of-Lentils

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

duke_of_the_bump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rhythm Heaven Megamix is the best game of the year.

LeStephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By LeStephan

Ill keep bringing this one up untill someone else finally does: Shinobi on 3ds is THE BEST! Graphics looks like shit but dont let that fool you!

(oldschool gaming sensibilities may be needed as its pretty hard.)

PS: Just in case: Im not talking about the eshop rereleases of the mega drive games. Theres an actual NEW fucking shinobi game that got released near the launch of the 3ds and that nobody seems to have played.

whur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd like to throw in the gem recommended by the great 8-4 crew, Gotta Protectors. Cheapish eShop game that one may easily skip over but hot damn is it worth it. Music done by some old school Japanese greats from geneis/(s)nes era? I don't remember specifics but it doesn't matter because it's good.

Otherwise:

-Pokemon R/B/Y (nostalgia play for me)

-Rhythm Heaven

-Shovel Knight

-Pokemon Puzzle League (Panel de Pon)

-Bomberman

Hopefully different than the standard meat and potato recommendation of the system.

vocalcannibal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Style Savvy: Fashion Forward is a great game to pick up at sale price. I'm addicted to making cute outfits for cute girls, as someone who grew up with a fashion itch thanks to flash dress-up games. I'd also definitely second Link Between Worlds, Rune Factory 4, the Zero Escape games, and whichever Pokemon games. 3DS has a few Professor Layton games too, and those are always good.

GalacticPunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Gunman Clive is great side scroller an art style that I think works best with the 3D cranked up. It's on sale right now for 99 cents. If you dig it, its sequel is a whopping $1.49!

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

richyhahn4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

$100??

Fuck yeah, Ive been trying to save up and get one since I haven't owned a handheld since the GBA SP, and I want to get back into pokemon.

nnickers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd say pick up 999 and Virtue's Last Reward. Those games are really great. Etrian Odyssey 4 would probably be my other top recommendation. That game has one of the best battle systems I've ever seen (sorry, I still won't put anything above Chrono Cross) and I remember spending hours just tinkering with talent trees. It's really deep and really satisfying.

richyhahn4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just some info for everyone, the $100 dollar New 3ds is apparently completely sold out everywhere, I guess it was just a Black Friday sale.

I still paid $190 for a small black one and a copy of Pokemon Sun which I'll take, I've really missed having a handheld that was my beat up Android phone haha.

warpr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

bluntmcgee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pocket Card Jockey is currently my game to play in bed. It's only a few bucks and pretty fun (if you like Solitaire).

ichthy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeesh, I'm glad I have a n3DS already, because it sounds like trying to get the $99 one currently is maddening.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.